Tuesday, March 6, 2012

ATL Airport is a Dietitian's Nightmare


So I crashed at my dear friend Courtney’s house in Atlanta last night in order to be dropped off at Marta this morning and make my way to the all-too-familiar Hartsfield Jackson International Airport. (I swear I know this airport better than the employees.) Airports have become synonymous with my life currently. Since November, I don’t think I’ve gone longer than 3 weeks without boarding a different plane- Atlanta, Atlanta again for X-mas, LA, NYC, Atlanta for a third time with no close end in sight! I have to say, I’m definitely not complaining. Right now I couldn’t be happier with all my travel plans, except for the fact that my diet has inevitably suffered. 

The pressure to indulge in what I call “vacation no-nos” lurks around ever corner. My parents, for example, fell victim to those girlscouts temptresses in disguise (those boxes glared at me every time I entered the kitchen). Chick-fil-a’s occupying every exit also pose a problem. Not to jump on my soapbox or anything, BUT there is a severe lack of sweet tea outside of what I consider the Deep South (Texas doesn’t count) so “because I only get it when I’m home,” I tell myself it’s ok. But really, IT’S NOT OK! Unfortunately, it’s what has led to my 3lb weight gain in 6 days :( A slippery slope that most people find themselves on. Before 3lbs turns into 10, it’s time to get back into the drivers seat. See? Dietitians don’t always have the perfect diet. (This is the part where you guys sympathize with me as readers.)

So as I said I’m at the airport, scouring poor choice after poor choice. To my amazement, there was even an Oscar Mayer restaurant option. Good grief. Ended up at Atlanta Bread Company assuming they would have some kind of fruit cup or non-fat yogurt... wishful thinking on my part. Ended up with an egg and cheese sandwich. I looked up the nutrition after (usually always check before but time was of the essence) to discover my breakfast had 440 calories, 17g fat, 6g saturated fat, 52g carbohydrates, 2g fiber, 20g protein and 790mg sodium. 

I’ll explain how I arrived at my decision: The fewest calorie option would’ve been the bagel with fat free cream cheese, however, that meal would’ve been entirely composed of carbohydrates. By adding some protein and fat (with the egg and cheese), I was able to avoid a high blood sugar spike and I was able to go the remaining 4 hours till I arrived back at my place and safely in healthy food zone. Typically when we eat foods comprised of high amounts of carbohydrates (and processed, white bread ones), we tend to become hungrier sooner.

To compensate for my not-so-ideal meal, I had a nice spinach salad when I got back to my place and took my little dog, Georgia, for a much needed run. I love vacations (I mean who doesn’t?), but there’s definitely something to be said about being home and getting back to your routine. AND sleeping in your own bed J

No comments:

Post a Comment